What’s Going on With the Fountains?
Friends of Garfield Park Report on Fountain and Sunken Garden Restoration Project : : August, 2023
Hello friends of Friends of Garfield Park! Here is a question we have heard from you recently – I thought Friends was renovating the fountains. Why haven’t we seen anything happening? Well, a lot is happening, but it is mostly on paper, not in concrete and pumps and wires and pipes. Not just yet! FOGP continues to work with our partners at Indy Parks, Garfield Park and our contractor, Tom Fansler (Tiii), toward our goal of restoring the historic splendor of the fountains including dancing water and colorful lights and maintaining them for future generations. This is a long process. Think “measure twice, cut once” but more like “measure 10 times with a laser, get approval, then cut”.
Here is a rough TIMELINE.
- Initial evaluation of fountain conditions and report : : 2019-2020
- Feasibility study for capital campaign : : 2020-2021
- Launch capital campaign : : Late 2021
- Fundraising : : 2022 to 2025
- FOGP Executes contracts with Tiii for preliminary design and
hardscape evaluation : : Early Spring, 2023
- Tiii creates schematic designs of all systems and Provides rough
budgetary numbers* : : Early Spring , 2023 to present
- FOGP, Indy Parks and Garfield Park staff meet with Tiii every 2 weeks to vet updated
design and set priorities* : : Early Spring, 2023 to present
- FOGP considering contract with Tiii to provide final design documents for permitting* : : Present
- Tiii completes final Design and budget for FOGP : : September, 2023
Approval and submission to city for permits
- Permitting Process September : : October 2023
- Construction begins : : October, 2023
- Project complete : : End of August, 2024
*we are here
In summary, we are almost done with the preliminary schematic design phase in which we discuss details and budgets for concrete work, pumps, pipes, electrical systems, control systems, limestone work, wall patching, stair and bench repair……….
Next, Tiii will prepare the final design construction plan set for permitting. Then permitting. Then construction. So, we have more paper and process before you see construction on the project.
Please be patient and know that FOGP and our partners are working hard to reach our goal! Speaking of goals, you can help us reach our goal of raising the remaining $500,000 we need to fully fund the project. To donate, go to our website at garfieldparkindy.org or send your gift/pledge to Friends of Garfield Park, P.O. Box 33002, Indianapolis, IN 46203. Or contact Mike Lennox at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss donation details.
Watch for future reports!