FRIENDS OF GARFIELD PARK 2018 ANNUAL REPORT
In 2018 Friends of Garfield Park celebrated its 20th Anniversary
SPONSORSHIP & PROGRAMMING
- Provided sponsorship support to Garfield Shakespeare Company,
- Garfield Park Junior Baseball & Garfield Park Farmers Market
- Completed a new Garfield Park teacher’s guide for school field trips
- Hosted the National Recreation & Park Association conference attendees for a walking tour of Garfield Park
- Partnered with Big Car to host a summer beer garden in the Sunken Garden
- Hosted an Evening at the MAC with 8,000+ in attendance
- Hosted an Evening with Friends at the MAC in partnership with the Philharmonic Orchestra attended by 2,500+ individuals
- Conducted 4 Garfield Alive historic walking tours for 250+ attendees
- Hosted a 100 year birthday celebration for P.E. MacAllister in partnership with the Indianapolis Opera
PARK ENHANCEMENTS & IMPROVEMENTS
- Began planning efforts for the restoration of the historic Romeo and Juliet pedestrian bridge
- Raised support for additional MacAllister Center beautification
- Continued an annual commitment of over $20,000 in maintenance support for the Sunken Garden Fountains
- Made improvements to the youth baseball diamonds
- Raised $291,000 in contributions & grants & $80,000 in-kind
- Raised $50,000 for Blake’s Children Garden
- Raised $30,000 at the annual Fore Garfield Golf Outing
- Partnered with Kiwanis Foundation of Indianapolis, Colts, Indy Eleven, Indianapolis Indians on
- Garfield Park Youth Sports Programming
- Developed new partnerships with One America and Zink Distributing
The Friends of Garfield Park exists to ensure the preservation & continuation of the public benefits of Garfield Park through enhanced funding, effective advocacy & expanded stewardship.
THANK YOU from the Friends of Garfield Park, Inc. to all of the volunteers and sponsors for Garfield ReForest 2016 and the Great Indy Clean Up! It was a huge success and one of the largest volunteer events in the park’s history. Thanks to over 250 volunteers who planted 200 trees in less than 3 hours – WOW!
We are grateful to our sponsors, Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. Indianapolis Rotary, Indianapolis Power & Light Company and the board of FOGP. Shout out to the Garfield Park Neighbors Association, Friends of Garfield Park, Inc. members, and all of the incredible students and volunteers from Emmerich Manual High School, Roncalli High School, University of Indianapolis, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and more!
FOGP has received a grant toward the continuation of the Garfield Alive program for the purpose of connecting community and keeping Garfield Alive. The grant is from “Frank Curtis and Irving Moxley Springer Fund, a fund of the Central Indiana Community Foundation, in loving memory of Irving and Frank Springer.” The primary use of this grant is to continue to expand partnerships in accomplishing the FOGP initiatives and increase park attendance and program participation.
A Look Ahead
FOGP is an integral part of the future of Garfield Park. Our organization will continue development efforts through our Garfield Alive program and a new effort, Garfield Naturally. This will be a comprehensive campaign to tie together the nature elements in the park. Please join with us and support the Friends of Garfield Park. Your contribution today will build for tomorrow. For information call: 317-840-8111.
We couldn’t have accomplished this much Garfield Park without the continued support of The Indianapolis Foundation, A CICF affiliate!